Chocolate Stout


I much prefer stout from a bottle. I've always been a nailed on Guinness drinker in the pub, but at home I'd far prefer a bottle to a widget can. As far as Guinness goes I really only drink Foreign Export these days and when I can find some, Special Export.

So as Special is hard to get, I've been trying a lot of speciality stouts.

Harviestoun
I'm not convinced these even fully count as stout, but hey

These are a Scottish brewery and they produce some astonishingly good recipes. "Old Engine Oil" is supposedly a development of a homebrew recipe (close to my heart) and has a bit of a choc-latty taste, now this is what got me on to this tread of thinking n the first place. I also have a liking for Ola Dubh which I have tried in the 12 variety but not yet 16. 12 is aged in single malt oak casks - 12 year whisky. 16 as its name suggests in 16 year old whisky. 12 has a very smokey flavour, a real sipper of a drink.


So having discovered that there are stouts out there with this dark chocolate hint I tried 2 of the more easily available: -

Molly's Chocolate Stout - which I found a bit thin to be honest

Young's Double Chocolate Stout - which I utterly adore.

Now Young's comes in a bottle (or can apparently) with bright purple and orange labelling which makes it look a bit like the offspring of a dairy milk and a chocolate orange!!! But silly clothing aside it pours thick and settles with a dark head. It certainly has a nose of chocolate but doesn't taste so, until the finish where it lingers like good high cocoa content dark chocolate leaving a dry finish. Its one of my current favourites - but not everyones!!!

My wife hates it, my brother is non plussed and my father poured half a bottle away it disliked it so... although he's not a huge stout drinker at all anyway.

I am aware that the Porterhouse are releasing oyster in bottles soon 9or now) and I have enjoyed those, so I may move away from chocolate stout soon, but in the meantime. I'm a chocoholic.

BIG EDIT - I'm supposed to be tracking value here!!!

OLA Dubh is not cheap €4-5 a botte but it is 8% and a proper luxury

Youngs DCS runs between €3 and €3:50 a 500ml bottle. Beats a pint of plain or can of nitrogen !!!


Popular posts from this blog